November 26th - December 1st
Tehran Conference - November 27th, 1943
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin meet at a conference in Iran to find a way to win World War II or possibly come to a peace settlement.
During this conference, many strategies were discussed including Operation Overlord (also known as the invasion of Normandy). It was also decided that General Dwight D. Eisenhower would be the leader of the Invasion.
Iran was chosen because of the strategic importance to the Allies. Iran gave the ability to the United States to get supplies to Russia with least resistance.
Read more about the Conference of Tehran
Other Events that Occured
- Pope Urban II proclaims the 1st crusade (1095)
- 1st National Thanksgiving recognized (1789)
- 1st underground atomic explosion at Frenchman, Nevada (1951)
- Representatives from the United States and Great Britain meet in Paris to sign what would be the Treaty of Paris (1782)
- Rosa Parks is arrested for refusing to move to the back of the bus (1955)
To see other events that occurred this week
Want to Read about Present Events?
Check out our Issues page to see our recent articles